Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Today Wasn’t the First Time I was Kicked Out of Church 25 Year Death Song Indiegogo Project Blog Post 14


that's totally me singing, ten years old, 1967




Today Wasn’t the First Time I was Kicked Out of Church


What a day. After Dharma study tonight three women gave me an intervention. They say I look at then, they say they don’t like my comments, they say everyone thinks I’m a sexual predator, maybe even a child molester on top of all that. I was truly a bit taken aback, but seeing their eyes I have to accept that in that moment it was truth for each of them. There is no defense to this fear and even animosity so I simply said I accept their feelings and honor them for telling me, but perhaps they might have mentioned these feeling a year ago, as they cited damning examples of my behavior  going way back to when they first met me.


If I believed that there was any word or action I did that merited their anger I would be mortified. I went on to say goodbye to the men acting as leaders at the church to say goodbye to them, I asked how long this sentiment had been circulating. I was answered as far as they could tell since a little over a week ago. Tellingly, to me at least, this was just the time that I launched my Indiegogo Project campaign and made a mass emailing that I reckon each of them received. So I’m thinking this is clear evidence that I have clearly changed in a noticeable way, but one I do not yet clearly understand the full nature of, or have a necessary control of.


I see the truth that I have already changed my long balance behavioral equation. I frankly did not believe change in this path was possible. Clearly I have over compensated. The person I mentioned in post 09 and designated New Beauty, was the catalyst of my intervention. I discussed her with my grad student councilor, who was not specific really but as I described my fears and reluctance to open up and share my feelings, and to overcome my fear, I think, less of rejection, but more the appearance of being inappropriate; and she encouraged me to ask for a phone number, ask for a neutral ‘date’ to talk in a safe public place. Looking back I realize I was too forward with N.B., particularly in church, and these exercises I am attempting for my own growth play right into the fears and misgiving that have of me. In some explanation the whole world is my church, and my whole life is a prayer before God and the Spirit or whatever the case is. I feel like recounting the tit for tat of the conversations and interactions which each of these accusing, disapproving women, but they were only helping me, and helping them self; and I only regret that so many people let their fear and unhappiness build, only in service of being ‘polite.’ For my purposes New Beauty is another lesson learned, and although at this point in time I am not clear what to derive from her lesson, at least I’m sure I did not hurt demean or threaten her, and I hope left no hard feelings that will not dissipate.


This business is torturous for me, but no longer terrifying. If I work hard to learn from my mistakes and continue to be honest with myself and others I have to believe I will meet people who think as I do, at least to some degree. I am not and never was a cog in dominant culture, and the only appreciation, recognition or acceptance I have ever enjoyed is in tribal cultures. I am not a revolutionary because no group or government has any power over me that I do not freely concede. I don’t follow leaders because I see that we each must be responsible for all important decisions in our lives. I can have no fear because I have few material attachments to lose or defend. I know that death is always standing behind me, and that death can come at any time; this reminds me always to be careful to keep right thought, right action and right livelihood, for reasons implicit to my perception, and I hope I can become transparent and understandable to others. I felt since last year that I have only two options for living without conflict, personally, with everyone in my life; become a recluse, a hermit alive only in isolated wilderness if I am to have peace. Alternatively I have to change in the manner I have described in this Indiegogo project and extensively in this blog.


I have lived in wild places, dug stuff out of the ground and ate it without even enough water to wash it off. I did not suffer then differently than now in my relative present prosperity. Two weeks ago I could not have written this last sentence, or even tell it to a soul; because by my thought process, it violates the spirit of my sixth vow, claim no enlightenment that I have not attained; that I understand more simply put as: I claim no credentials, judge me as you know me to be, please. No truth or strength or ability can be held in a paper, it must come from persons. Even with all my recent suffering, I feel that I am healing slowly, and giving up is not an option. My art experience leads me always to reach beyond my present ability to where my best work yet lays waiting.


Please help. Contribute or refer me in your network, I won’t let you down.
 


A man to discover, a man to know, a life to emulate: by any person who hopes to know herself

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you really think..