Monday, March 3, 2014

My Comic Book Racket 25 Year Death Song Indiegogo Project Blog Post 04








My Comic Book Racket
X marks the spot in this composition.
My consuming interest in comic books as a boy, and specifically in the continuity in Marvel comic books was certainly a contributing  factor in the formation of my Shaman mind. Comic books are a truly vast, but yet finite data set that in mastering it as I grew up was so like one in a rainforest learning the flora and fauna.
                 I got to Staple! in Austin a day late this year. My pal Sam Hurt invited me to come up to hang out, but I confused the date and missed the busy Saturday. All worked out well though, I managed to sell some stuff on Sunday, talk my project up to a lot of artists, with a subset of attractive female type artists; the day passed nicely. Austin is a happy hunting ground for me because every other man in San Antonio has some magical aspects too him, but Austin just has a lot of men who remember being magical in youth but now their only power is their income.

I was delighted to meet up with Monica Gallagher once again, I have followed her comics work for years, particularly her web comic Bonnie ‘n Collide. This year I was able to afford to buy a wonderful original Bonnie strip that is now a prize possession! Displaying their work on tables in a row down from Monica’s were a trio of kind and beautiful young cartoonists; Great Hat, Great Red Wig, and Nancy Nebula. Each enchanted me so deeply that I am relieved that they were there so close together that I couldn’t focus on just one. I felt like I passed the yes/no with each of them, and I love them each differently, but that is just a distinction without meaning.  Sam agreed that it would be fun to do an oral history about his cartooning career; I can’t wait to go back to Austin!


Pat Travers is a fixture at San Antonio Festivals and a great soul of Rock and Roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you really think..