Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Return Of A Lost Object Spell

Topper Helmers Pencil Sketch
by Comic Book Shaman circa 1976
I met Topper Helmers at a one day comic book show outside of Cleveland, Ohio in the summer of 1975. It was a so-so kind of a show in a school gymnasium, as I recall. It was a little after noon and I had made my nut, and I was hoping to make some more cash because a guy down the row had a couple boxes of pre-code crime, horror, teen, and romance stuff I wanted to tap into. He wasn't doing that well because it was pretty much a Marvel/DC hero crowd.

I looked up to see a tall bearded guy with a cute blonde in tow. He asked how much for my Thunda #1, taped up on the folded bleachers behind my tables. I think I was holding the line at a hundred bucks or so on the book, more than he had to spend. To make a long story short, he offered me his original Frazetta sketch in trade. We jumped in my Mom's car and booked it for Youngstown to do the deal.

Our friendship was based on art, illustrators, books, sketches, beer and pot. I moved to Youngstown the next year, into a big old house on Bryson Street. We were 4 roomates, me, Topper, Rob and John, and two regular visitors John L. and Matt. I made a large pen and ink drawing of us titled The Bryson Inn Gang At Fillmore East, based on the Allman Brothers double live album cover of a similar name.

Some two years or so later we were both residing near Orlando, Florida. He was married to his first wife, and I was moving out of my apartment and taking on a nomadic (homeless) phase of existance.  had a pickup and a crummy camper shell, and a lot of friends to crash around with. I asked Topper to keep some of my larger pieces of artwork for me, the above named piece in particular, but also my copy of his first large lithograph, and other items I've forgotten and don't care about.



Topper Helmers sketch in blue ballpoint ink drawn while working in the basket room at the Youngstown JCC circa 1976 (detail).
Copyright 2011 Comic Book Shaman all rights reserved
 I went to Tejas by and by; Topper to California. A lot of water under the bridge. I found his phone number on the net in the late 1990's (I think) I called him up, we sort of caught up on the past decades. I asked if he still had the drawing, he said he did; I asked him to send it back to me and he refused. I asked for a copy at least, which he agreed to but never did. He did sell me a collection of books which I recieved, so I knew he knew where I was.

Some years later I contacted Topper Helmers again. I asked for it again, trying to reach out with our old connection of collecting books, but he told me to go look on eBay and don't waste his time by calling again. I have nothing but fond memories of my friendship with Topper Helmers (1976-1980?). I learned a lot from him, we had good times, he got me jobs, and I have stories and sketches. Lots of stories; and lots of sketches. I sold a lot of comic books with the thought of retaining a lawyer I met in San Francisco in 2008, to sue for the return of My drawing, which you may by now understand I really wish to have returned to me. Before so dire an act, and as asking nicely was a dead end I am beginning this spell. Next post I will recount one of any number of anticdotes of Topper Helmers' past artwork and behavior. I know... how about lots about this:

ha
Love,

Comic Book Shaman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you really think..